Link back to index.html
Did Jesus appear bodily after His death?
It is interesting to note that the Bible tells us that, three days after Jesus Christ’s death on the cross, He began to appear:
1. to Mary Magdalene outside His tomb in the early hour of Sunday morning. Jesus called her “Mary” and she recognized Him. (John 20:10—18 NKJV)
2. to Mary Magdalene and the other Mary on the early Sunday morning. Jesus told them, “Go and tell My brethren to go to Galilee, and there they will see Me.” (Matthew 28:1—10 NKJV)
3. to Cleopas and another disciple on the first day of the week, at the road to Emmaus, where Jesus explained the Scriptures and broke bread with them (Luke 24:13—32 NKJV)
4. to eleven disciples and others, on the evening of the first day of the week, where He told them, “Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.” He ate cooked fish and some honeycomb in their presence. (Luke 24:33—49 NKJV)
5. to ten apostles and others, with Thomas absent, on the late Sunday evening, and showed them His hands and His side. (John 20:19—23 NKJV)
6. to Thomas and the other apostles and He asked Thomas to put his fingers at His side and look at His hand and to “stop your doubting, and believe!” (John 20:26—30 TEV)
7. to seven apostles at Lake Tiberias where He ate fish and bread with them (John 21:1—14 NKJV)
8. to the eleven disciples and He told them “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, . . .” (Matthew 28:16—20 NKJV)
9. to the apostles at the Mount of Olives before his ascension. He told them, “you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you. . .” (Luke 24:49—52) and (Acts 1:4—9 NKJV)
10. The Acts of the Apostles reports many instances of Jesus appearing to various people after His resurrection:
i) Acts 1:3-4---Luke reports “to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.”
ii) Acts 2:32 ---Peter says "This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses.”
iii) Acts 3:14-15---Peter repeats "But you denied the Holy One and the Just, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses.”
iv) Acts 7:55-56---“But he (Steven), being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, and said, ‘Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!’"
v) Acts 9:3-5---Jesus appears to Saul: “As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’ And he said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ Then the Lord said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’"
vi) Acts 10:40-41---Peter says "Him God raised up on the third day, and showed Him openly, not to all the people, but to witnesses chosen before by God, even to us who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead.”
vii) Acts 13:31---Paul says, "He was seen for many days by those who came up with Him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are His witnesses to the people.”
However, there are many questions that need comprehensive answers. Questions such as:
· Did Jesus actually die on the cross?
· How do we know that Jesus has resurrected?
· Was Jesus resurrection a hoax?
· Could the resurrection be a hallucination of the disciples?
· Was Jesus resurrection real?
· Is the Bible the only source that tells us about Jesus resurrection?
· Are there evidences in other historical books to support Jesus resurrection?
· Can a convincing case for Jesus resurrection be put forward?
What are the evidences for
For a more comprehensive reading about the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, please see my web site, http://www.geocities.com/lauho08 under the heading “Resurrection of Jesus Christ” on the following topics:
· Did Jesus Christ rise from the dead?
· Evidence FOR the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
· No Resurrection, No Christianity
· The Empty Tomb of Jesus
· The Evidence for the Resurrection
· Was Jesus' resurrection a hoax and His death a sham?
· Was Jesus seen alive after His death on the Cross?
· What are the Circumstantial Evidence FOR the Resurrection?
Link back to index.html