Link back to index.html
LOVING IN A BIBLICAL WAY
This study was written by Pastor Steve Carr, Calvary Chapel, Arroyo Grande, CA. He can be contacted at http://www.calvaryag.org/ or firstname.lastname@example.org or (805) 481-2320.
I. Why Should We Love?
1. Love fulfills the Law of God Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.(Rom. 13:10)
2. Love is proof we have been born of God Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.(1 John 4:7)
3. Love is the proof of maturity in Christ But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.(Col. 3:14)
4. Loving others will please God And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you, . . Finally then, brethren, we urge and exhort in the Lord Jesus that you should abound more and more, just as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God;(1 Thess. 3:12,4:1).
II. How Should We Love?
1. We should give ourselves sacrificially Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,(Eph. 5:25). By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.(1 John 3:16) "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.(John 15:13)
2. We should be a servant For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.(Gal. 5:13)
3. We should give those we love freedom to make their own choices, not forcing our will upon them, even as the Lord doesn't force His will upon us And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely. (Rev. 22:17) Therefore when Jesus perceived that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king, He departed again to the mountain by Himself alone.(John 6:15) And she answered him, "No, my brother, do not force me, for no such thing should be done in Israel. Do not do this disgraceful thing!(2 Sam. 13:12)
4. We will forgive much "Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little."(Luke 7:47) If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? (1 John 4:20) And above all things have fervent love for one another, for "love will cover a multitude of sins." (1 Peter 4:8)
5. We will look for ways to give to others "For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him. In this you have done foolishly; therefore from now on you shall have wars." (2 Chron. 16:9)
6. We will correct our loved ones when we see evil and wrongdoing For whom the LORD loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives." (Heb. 12:6) "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.(Rev. 3:19)
7. We love the Lord more than we love them So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these? He said to Him, Yes, Lord; You know that I love You. He said to him, Feed My lambs."(John 21:15) He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.(1 John 5:12)
8. We will give our loved one's needs preference over our own Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;(Rom. 12:10).
9. We won't do anything to harm another in any way Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.(Rom. 13:10)
10. We won't cause others to stumble by our attitudes or actions Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things.(Rom. 14:1)
11. We will seek to build others up by our attitudes and actions Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.(1 Cor. 8:1)
12. We will seek to communicate our love For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote to you, with many tears, not that you should be grieved, but that you might know the love which I have so abundantly for you.(2 Cor. 2:4)
13. We will reaffirm our love after reconciliation with them Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love to him.(2 Cor. 2:8)
14. We will prove our love by action Therefore show to them, and before the churches the proof of your love and of our boasting on your behalf.(2 Cor. 8:24)
15. We will care for others as we do ourselves So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. (Eph. 5:28)
16. We will make knowledgeable and wise choices that have our loved one's best interest in mind And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment,(Phil. 1:9).
17. We will comfort others when they are in need Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,(Phil. 2:1).
18. We will seek unity and to be knit together in love that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ,(Col. 2:2).
19. We will resist and endure temptation to violate God's commands, that might in any way hurt or offend others Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.(James 1:12)
20. We will be tenderhearted and courteous Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; (1 Peter 3:8).
21. We will take action when there are obvious needs that we can meet My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.(1 John 3:18)
22. We won't try to manipulate with fear There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.(1 John 4:18)
23. We will be longsuffering Love suffers long and is kind;(1 Cor. 13:4).
24. We won't envy others love does not envy;(1 Cor. 13:4).
25. We won't think ourselves better than others love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;(1 Cor 13:4).
26. We won't be rude does not behave rudely,(1 Cor. 13:5).
27. We won't be selfish does not seek its own,(1 Cor. 13:5).
28. We won't hold resentment and bitterness is not provoked, thinks no evil;(1 Cor. 13:5).
29. We will be trustful believes all things, (1 Cor. 13:7).
30. We will hope for change when our trust has been violated believes all things, hopes all things, (1 Cor. 13:7).
31. We will endure when the change doesn't come instantly endures all things. (1 Cor. 13:7)
32. We will hold others accountable as God holds us accountable So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.(Rom. 14:12)
Important note: Not all people will receive our love, even if we love them in this manner. Remember, men rejected the love of Christ when He loved them in this way. Some may reject us as well "Remember the word that I said to you, 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also.(John 15:20)
Link back to index.html